Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Asian Lettuce Wraps

We had these at P.F. Chang's and they are so good! I saw this recipe in my January All You, check out the link for a much prettier picture!


Ingredients

  • 2  tablespoons  vegetable oil
  • 1  onion, chopped
  • 2  cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2  pounds  ground turkey
  • 1/2  cup  low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2  tablespoons  hoisin sauce
  • 2  tablespoons  teriyaki sauce
  • 1  cup  bean sprouts (about 4 oz.)
  • 2  carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
  • 24  large Boston or butter lettuce leaves
  • Soy sauce, optional
 I wish I could say that I followed the recipe exactly, but since I didn't have hoisin sauce or teriyaki sauce, I really ended up making my own sauce. I used soy sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar, and a little sugar, along with the suggested chicken broth. Mostly I just kept tasting until it was the way I liked!

We also used iceberg lettuce instead of the cute little lettuce the recipe calls for. It worked fine, we just ended up with a lot of meat in each leaf!


The only thing we would do differently is to add more veggies because (even Martin said) it was just too much meat! When you have tacos, you add a bunch of other toppings, but the "toppings" were already mixed together in this recipe. I would double or even triple the amount of shredded carrots (you can hardly even see them in my picture) and larger sprouts would have been better. I think some cabbage would work nicely in this too.

This was a winner, even with Emma! We'll be having it again sometime soon!

1 comment:

  1. This definitely inspired me last night when I was trying to get rid of leftover pork chops - they weren't super yummy by themselves and kind of dry, so I sliced them thin and made an Asian soy/peanut type sauce and put them in wraps with all the toppings! So a little different, but this recipe really gave me the idea! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete