Saturday, February 12, 2011

Colorado Buffalo Chili

 I had two packages of ground Bison that I have been wanting to make chili with, and I finally had time to do it today...
I started off in the usual way, with olive oil on the bottom of my cast iron pan, and adding onion, then celery to saute.  Then I added the bison and let it brown up a bit.  I used two pounds, so this is double the recipe I will post at the end.


Next, I drained four cans of kidney beans, both light and dark for contrast, and rinsed them to remove some of the salt.  Then I added a big can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes, a bottle of dark beer, and the beans, and stirred it up good.  Then it's time for seasoning.  For chili, I like both chili powder and cumin, some sweetner (I used both a few tablespoons of sugar and some honey), chopped garlic, salt and pepper, cholula hot sauce, and a little adobo sauce.  (Rachael Ray had a great idea for adobo which I used:  you never use the whole can, so whatever is left put in the freezer in a little bag or container, pop it out when you need it, and grate whatever you need, then put the rest back in the freezer.  It worked like a charm, and believe me, you only need about a tablespoon to feel the heat!)

To serve it, I chunked an avocado on top, along with some shredded cheese, a little coconut and some crushed tortilla chips.  It was amazing!  Also, thanks to the Dunphy Brewery for the delicious Octoberfest.  It was a little lemony with a hint of molasses, and very mild, a nice offset for the spicy hot chili.


  • 1 pound ground buffalo
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles 
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 Anaheim chile pepper, chopped
  • 1 poblano chile pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 bottle dark beer
  • Honey/sugar 1-2 T
  • Chilis in adobo
  • Chalula hot sauce to taste
  • (I doubled this recipe.  I did not use this)

Directions

1.                         Brown the buffalo in a skillet over medium heat; season with 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon cumin; drain.
2.                         Combine the buffalo, tomatoes with green chiles, tomato soup, kidney beans, black beans, onion, garlic, Anaheim chile pepper, poblano chile pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low overnight or 8 hours.
Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving  Calories: 220 | Total Fat: 2.4g | Cholesterol: 39mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database


2 comments:

  1. OOO I like the idea of adding beer! I will have to try that in my chili sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I think of buffalo chili I think of that amazing one we had in Denver....awesome!!

    And what a great idea about freezing the chipotle peppers! I've never bought them because I knew I'd probably waste most of it, but this is a great tip!

    ReplyDelete