Saturday, February 5, 2011

Homemade chicken stock

Remember that orange-garlic roast chicken I made a while back? Well, I wanted to make the most of my chicken, so I saved the carcass and made homemade chicken stock!

I followed Julia Child's recipe, I figured she should know how to make it.

To start, I placed the carcass/bones in a pot, and covered it with water so it was 2 inches above the chicken. I brought it to a simmer, and as foam began to rise, I scraped it off with a spoon until it stopped forming, about 5 minutes or so.


After removing the foam, I added all these veggies:


That would be 2-3 unpeeled carrots, 2 stalks celery, and 2 peeled onions. In the cheesecloth, I have 1/4 tsp dried thyme, 1 bay leaf, 2 tbsp dried parsley, 2 cloves garlic. I think you can use basically whatever herbs you want, and should probably use fresh, but I only had dried. I threw all the veggies in the pot with some salt, and let it simmer with the lid cracked. I checked every so often to skim the top and make sure the liquid didn't boil.

I had a free night, so I let it simmer for about 4-5 hours. Once it was cooled down a bit, I pulled out the big veggies and bones and strained the liquid into a container.



Pretty! I stuck it in the fridge, and the next morning I scraped the fat off the top that had solidified.

I had quite a bit of leftover chicken from the original roast as well, so I made some seriously homemade chicken noodle soup! I still have a bit of stock left, so I'm going to stick it in the freezer until I need it again.

This recipe was super low-maintenance, but you do have to be around while it cooks. The nice thing is you can just kind of accumulate chicken bones and stuff and throw it in the freezer, and then when you have a free day to make stock, you can pull it out and throw it in! I'm pretty sure the next time I roast a chicken, I'll be making stock again :)

1 comment:

  1. Cool, Sarah. All these years I've made "stock" and never knew exactly what the recipe was.

    ReplyDelete