Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

I made a ham the other day, and this is one of the things I made with the leftovers:


2 lbs. potatoes, enough for 4 cups sliced thin, about 5-6 medium

3 tablespoons marg. or butter

3 tablespoons flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teasp. pepper

2 1/2 cups milk

1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup) (optional)

ham, cut into cubes or small pieces, enough for six servings

1 tablespoon margerine or butter


Prepare potatoes by scrubbing under cold water, removing eyes and imperfections. You do not have to peel them. Cut into thin slices to measure about 4 cups. I used this cheap, plastic mandolin that we got for a wedding present, if you can believe that! I can't understand why it took me 25 years to start using it, it is soooo easy. For years, I used the metal box grater in the photo (like Oma), and a few times, I used my food processor blade. But this is the best!











Heat 3 tablespoons margerine in saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese, if desired. Boil and stir 1 minute.












Arrange potatoes in greased 2-quart casserole in 3 layers, topping each of the first two layers with 1/2 of the onion, 1/2 of the ham, and 1/3 of the white sauce.















Top with remaining potatoes and sauce. Dot with 1 tablespoon margerine. Cover and cook in 350 degree oven for 30 min. Uncover and cook until potatoes are tender, 60-70 min. longer. Let stand 5-10 min. before serving. 6 servings



























5 comments:

  1. I had a terrible time getting the pictures set. And every time I would edit and then preview, the preview would be changed from my edited version. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure exactly what's going on without seeing your computer, but I have a few guesses -

    When you upload the pictures, what are your settings? It looks like you have it set as "small" image size and "right" alignment.

    The settings I used, if you want it to look like that are "medium" and "center", and I just saved it like that for every time.

    I'm not sure about why the preview would change things around, the only thing I can think it would change would be margins, since the two windows might look a little different.

    Hopefully that helps, and if you want to Skype sometime and have me view your screen and help out I'd be happy to do that too! But I encourage you to keep playing around with it :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarah. I talked to BA last night and she changed the settings so I can use a newer version to edit my post. It seems better, so I hope that will help. Thanks for the advise, and great job on the page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it too! Like Mom said, I didn't realize there were admin privilages, so everyone has that now. The one thing that will make posting easier is if you go into settings and down at the bottom switch to the new editor. It is especially easier to upload pictures that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good I'm so glad we were able to figure it out - hopefully now posting will be easier, and now I can get emails when there are new posts and comments written, so that's cool. I was just having a little fun last night with the layout, so if anyone else is feeling inspired to change it around, be my guest!

    ReplyDelete