Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Spinach & Mushroom Stuffed Chicken

So this recipe was inspired by one of my friends and old roommates, and I decided to try it out on some guinea pigs, aka Kirk and Linda :) Again, I didn't really work from a recipe but used my knowledge of how long chicken typically takes to cook and estimated everything! What you need:

-Spinach
-Mushrooms
-Cream Cheese (or Philadelphia Cooking Creme)
-Chicken Breasts
-Toothpicks!

We started out by butterflying the chicken breasts, or just cutting a pocket since some were a little on the small side. After doing this, I thought it might have been better to flatten out the chicken first so they would lay flat, but that's how you learn, right!?


In a mixing bowl, we mixed together some spinach with approximately half of the Cooking Creme-we used savory garlic, but regular cream cheese would probably work fine too :)


After mixing those two ingredients together, we chopped up some mushrooms and put them in the mix as well.


After mixing everything together, we divided it into three portions, one for each chicken breast. Then, I strategically stuffed each one with the mixture and sealed it with toothpicks. This part was probably the trickiest seeing as I've never done anything like this before! :D


We wrapped each one individually in foil to make sure nothing leaked out, and baked them for 15 minutes in the oven on 375. After the 15 minutes was up, I took them out and put on some seasonings and such and turned them over. Put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Once the 2nd 15 minutes is up, decided to open the foil and put them under the broiler/500 degrees for 5 minutes to brown the tops for your aesthetic pleasure ;)

The final product!

We paired it with some herb linguine which was very tasty and a cucumber, tomato, green onion and green pepper medley :) Let me know if you try it, or if you have any other types of stuffing that might be yummy!

4 comments:

  1. You are so cute with your "aesthetic pleasure". Haha!!

    Great idea pookie - I'm always looking for ways to use up my cooking cream. (I had a coupon and got 2 for basically free, but I don't seem to have a chance to use it that much)

    I've made chicken cordon bleu roll-ups kind of like this before - flattened chicken breasts, added ham & cheese & seasonings, rolled them up and baked them with bread crumbs & butter on top! But it was super oozy everywhere! I have some tips for next time:

    If you want to flatten the chicken, butterfly it first, then it will pound out more easily and faster! Stick it in a ziploc bag and hammer from the middle out to the sides with a mallet, rolling pin, or the bottom of a pan.

    Instead of stuffing the chicken, I think it's easier to roll it - then you get some filling all through the chicken, and it's sooooo much easier to get closed!

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still use toothpicks when you roll them to keep it together, or is it pretty easy to keep them together when you roll them?

    Thanks for the tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, I would still use toothpicks. or kitchen twine if you feel like tying them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last picture looks amazing! Great job Becca!

    ReplyDelete